Wednesday 16 March 2011

Coventry University Second Year

Ben Cove Workshop

We were given the opportunity to work with renowned artist Ben Cove in a 3 day workshop at the University. We had to create a response to what we thought of when we thought of Coventry. Coming from a Rural town I have struggled to adapt to city life, disliking the noise, the pollution and above all- the litter and dirt. So I chose a well known building- 'the elephant' on Cox St and created a piece of work which showed the building being swallowed up by the rubbish and mess in Coventry. The crumpled up papers are each photographs of graffiti and litter I took from a short trip around the city centre.


Detail of Piece

While I like the idea of Urban Decay as a concept, I feel I am not ready to explore this yet, I want to focus on   a positive I have found in Coventry- the cloud formations are beautiful. So I started off by creating some observational shots to see what I could capture in photographic form.






I then decided to try and incorporate some of these images into a painting, using elements of the photographs themselves.




I like how these images have turned out, they are artistic while keeping a figurative base, this I appreciate within my artwork as I struggle to personally understand abstract style pieces.


Professional Practice Module


At this point I decided to undertake my Degree as a just Fine Art, this is because I felt I could put more into the degree if I only had one aspect to focus on.
As part of this academic year we were obliged to undertake a module concerning professional practice, mainly, organising, preparing for, and running an exhibition be it in a group or solo.
 I feel it is now the time for me to explore Urban Decay as a subject, as it has always been something that has interested me. I always try and find the areas in cities missed by the developers, no longer well painted and modern. These places tend to reflect the true character of a city not the faceless non-descript window covered tower blocks that we now associate with the high flying city life.


I chose to draw inspiration from the photographs I had taking in the Ben Cove Workshop, and found that they can be perceived in very different ways by people just using some imagination, for instance this image is merely a cigarette packet on the floor, whereas my friend could see a farmhouse, surrounded by farmland. 




It is this idea that caught my attention, if images can be seen in many different ways by different people, then maybe I can try and influence how people perceive my work, to try and sway their thoughts and make them see what I want them to see. I felt that I could explore this by doing more photography.


While accumulating my photographs, I was given the opportunity to attend a Silver Emulsion or 'Liquid Light' Workshop, this gave me the opportunity to use it to develop black and white photographs onto many different surfaces including wood, metal, brick and a variety of papers. 
For the workshop I used my dad's old negatives from the 1970's which got me thinking- what if I can reproduce my own images to appear as authentic as these old negatives? Why not use an old camera?









So I used my Diana F medium format camera- which was originally my Great Grandmother's- to create my images.
I decided to focus on a specific location for my photographs. I decided to settle on the Stoke Area of Coventry, particularly my walking route to University. I felt the character of the area was sufficient to be used as a backdrop for the images. I wanted to try and merge my photographs, force one object out of its context and into another scenario, so this is what I have achieved with my Diana, as I was able to double expose a piece of film so it would include 2 shots within a single image.




A&E: Alternative Echoes


I put on an Exhibition of this work with my friend Anthony Williams in a disused shop space in Coventry City Centre, courtesy of Coventry ArtSpace.
















The exhibition was really successful and I was able to see what reactions my work received, most of which were very positive, the rest were more curious about the work and asked questions about the work.


No comments:

Post a Comment